Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Online Now (0)

British driving license holder

IranIran 1 month - Outlander

I am a British driving license holder and would like to drive in Almaty. Am I able to drive with my British license or do I need an International driving permit? If so, am I able to get the permit done here? Please share any information you may have.

• aneeshaneesh 1 year - Expatriate
    In accordance with the Article # 41 of the Road Traffic Convention 08.11.1968, Vienna (Republic of Kazakhstan is a party of this Convention) States- Parties recognize any national or international driving licenses in it's territory, corresponding to the format approved by the Convention.

Thus, if the country that issued the drivering license is a party of this Convention, for the trip to Kazakhstan international drivering license is not required.

List of countries which have acceded to the 1968 Vienna Convention:

Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Great Britain, Hungary, Venezuela, Guyana, Ghana, Germany, Greece, Georgia, Denmark, Zaire, Zimbabwe, Israel, Indonesia, Iran, Spain, Italy, Kazakhstan, Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire, Cuba, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Mexico, Morocco, Monaco, Niger, Norway, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Moldova, the Soviet Union, Romania, San Marino, Seychelles, Senegal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Uruguay, the Philippines, Finland, France, Croatia, Central African Republic, the Czech Republic, Chile, Switzerland, Sweden, Ecuador, Estonia, South Africa, Yugoslavia.
  • aneeshaneesh 1 year - Expatriate
    If you hold an INTL driving license you can get it translated into Russian.